All students studying in Sweden are covered by the personal injury insurance (a general student insurance) that is obtained on behalf of universities and colleges within the state insurance system by “Kammarkollegiet”.

  • The insurance applies in Sweden during school hours and during travel to and from the location where school hours are spent.

Stockholm University strongly recommends all students to have a complete insurance cover to avoid extreme costs that might occur. Carefully consider which level of insurance you need and pay particular attention to the coverage’s restrictions and exclusions.

How to report an accident or injury

Insurance information based on citizenship, duration and type of studies

EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens and the European Health Insurance Card

International and exchange students who are citizens of any of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland should bring their European Health Insurance Card, issued by the social insurance office in the home country. The card states that you are entitled to health care on the same conditions and at the same price as permanent residents in Sweden. Bring the card whenever you seek medical care.

If you do not obtain an European Health Insurance Card in your home country, you will need to arrange your own insurance coverage to cover costs, as medical care without insurance can be very expensive. However, you always have access to emergency care.

If you will be staying in Sweden for more than a year, you can register with the Swedish Tax Agency for a personal identity number. Once you have received your number, you will be entitled to all healthcare and pay Swedish patient fees.


Non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of one year or more

If your degree programme is longer than one year, you are entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes after registering with the Swedish Tax Agency in order to receive a personal identity number. Once you have received your number, you will be entitled to all healthcare and pay Swedish patient fees. The application procedure can take some time, but you will be fully covered if you need medical help during the time it takes to process your application. While you are still waiting for your number, you will need to prove that you have applied for one when seeking medical attention.

Please note that this does not cover your journey to Sweden or the time you spend in the country prior to applying for your personal identity number. Thus, to be fully covered for that period, you will need some form of travel insurance from your home country.


Non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of less than one year

If you have a residence permit valid for a period of less than a year, you will not be able to obtain a personal identity number, which means you will not have automatic access to healthcare.

Sweden has reciprocal agreements for medical benefits with a number of countries. To find out whether your country has such an agreement, contact the social insurance office in your home country. Students from countries with this type of agreement need only present their passport and a certificate from their national social insurance office when seeking medical help. For the reciprocal agreement to apply, the need for medical care must arise during (not prior to) your stay in Sweden.

Students who are not covered by any of these agreements must arrange their own insurance coverage. In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive without any form of insurance. It is highly recommended to arrange for health insurance from your home country, so that you are covered during your trip to Sweden and as soon as you arrive.


SI-scholarship holders

Students holding a Swedish Institute scholarship are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance and Personal Insurance (GIF). The insurance covers illness and accident during the scholarship period. For more information please contact the Swedish Institute.


PhD students

PhD students with an education grant are covered by group life insurance. Spouses are also insured with group life insurance if he/she does not have their own insurance. The insurance covers a basic amount, a supplementary amount as well as a contribution to funeral expenses.


Exchange Students

In addition, all exchange students from universities with which Stockholm University has a formal exchange agreement are covered by the Swedish State Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden (Student-IN). This coverage is restricted to your study period at Stockholm University and extends only to claims arising while you are physically present in the country of Sweden. The insurance applies 24-hours a day and includes:
Disability and death coverage.
Home transport coverage.
Liability coverage.
Legal expenses coverage.

In some cases, the Student-IN insurance can cover necessary and reasonable costs for emergency medical care or dental care when the insured, during the policy term, suffers illness or in case of an accident. This insurance applies to exchange students who are not citizens of a Nordic country, an EU/EEA Member State, Switzerland or another Convention country regarding medical benefits, or are registered in Sweden and therefore have a Swedish personal identification number or for other reasons pay the same health care fees as people resident in Sweden. This insurance does not apply to the extent the insured may receive compensation from another insurance. For detailed information about the Student-IN insurance, please visit:

If you need to see a doctor and this insurance applies to you, do the following: Visit for example “CityAkuten” and pay the fees. Contact your coordinator at Stockholm University and complete a claim form. Return the form to the coordinator together with all original receipts and a refund will be made.

More Information

General Student Service Information Stockholm University